Named a Grand Cru Classé in the 1855 Classification, Chateau d'Armailhac was acquired by Baron Philippe de Rothschild in 1933.
The estate had belonged to the d'Armailhac family since the 18th century, although its history dates back to almost 100 years before that, when a register from the area mentioned the land being 'planted with vines'. Its wines throughout the 18th century was described as 'disappointingly thin', at which its owners started a process of improvement, marked by unrelenting determination, that lasts to this day. Techniques such as topping-up, running-off, barrel disinfection and fining were introduced, with teh wine improving so much that the estate achieved Fifth Growth status.
A neighbour of Mouton Rothschild, Chateau d'Armailhac's 70 hectares of vineyards are planted with classic Bordeaux varieties: Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cabernet Franc, and Petit Verdot. The wines are matured in oak barrels, and combine finesse and elegance with the power and tannins typical of the great wines of Pauillac. Widely recognised for the quality of their wines, Chateau d'Armailhac has evolved significantly over the years, and now incoporates numerous winemaking innovations.