A legendary terroir, prestigious neighbours, and a providential encounter sum up the history and success of Chateau Clerc Milon.
Located in Pauillac, where some of the world's finest wines are made, the Chateau was established in 1789 by the Clerc family, and was elevated to Fifth Growth in the 1855 Classification. At the time, it stood amongst the elite of the Medox Chateaux, spanning around 30 hectares. However, over time the estate was neglected and fell into significant disrepair, shrinking in size as parcels were handed off through sales and successions.
It was given a new lease of life in 1970, when the famed Baron Philippe de Rothschild recognised the potential of the land and elected to take it on, revitalising Clerc Milon with his visionary genius and commitment to quality. The land he gained was more than worthy of his efforts, boasting a superb terroir with vines over 50 years old, that include plantings of the historic, yet rare, Carmenere grape.
In Baron Philippe's eyes, Chateau Clerc Milon held a well deserved place alongside the family's two other estates, Chateau Mouton Rothschild and Chateau d'Armailhac. Under his watchful command, the vineyards were meticulously renovated, and various parcels that had been distributed out over the years were brought back and reinstated. His efforts did not go unrewarded: Clerc Milon quickly regained its reputation amongst wine-lovers, and has continued to rise in the decades since. 2007 saw the culmination of the restructuring work, with a new vat room being built, that contained some of the most cutting-edge facilities in Bordeaux. Today, Clerc Milon is an integral part of the Medoc landscape, and a benchmark for quality wine in the region.